.

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

New Toys

Over the last month or so I've noticed Lucy's interest in her toys changing a little. Teethers, rattles and stuffed animals that once were favorites don't seem as fun anymore. 

Lucy-- 4 months


I guess this is a good thing--she's developing and getting oh so smart. She needs toys that will stimulate her brain and encourage learning! SO, I asked around for ideas on some "next step" toys and was given some great ideas. Hopefully this will help other mommies who's kiddos are entering this stage or will be soon! Lucy is having lots of fun with her new toys!
Here are my observations: 

Item #1: Baby Pop Up (We were given this when Lucy was born---so glad!)
Who doesn't love these? They've been around for years. I like that Lucy has to figure out how each button works to open the compartments. She's only mastered 2 buttons---the ones you push and pull. But I'm sure she'll figure out the others in no time! And right now closing the compartments is WAY more fun than opening them. :) She loves when I open them all up for her. Her face lights up and she quickly closes them all again.


Item #2: Fisher Price Stacker
LOVE this one! The reasons:
#1--It's old school. I had one. A toy that is still around after all those years must be good!
#2--A friend of mine suggested stacking cups. I figured this was in the "stacking" family.
#3--It was the cheapest toy at Target.



Item #3: Activity Cube.
Thanks to my mom for buying Lucy this new toy! It plays music, lights up and has lots of fun things on it. It will grow with her too. She has a lot of fun exploring everything on this new toy!



Item #4: Touch and Feel Animal Flash Cards
These are Lucy's favorite. I keep them on the coffee table shelf so she can reach them. She thinks it's so fun to pull them all down and make a huge mess. But then she'll choose one of the cards and study it intently. She uses her little index finger to touch the "touch and feel" parts. I try to pay attention to the card she's holding at any given time and say the name of the animal and the sound it makes. Lucy is really starting to understand certain ones. Mainly the puppy, kitten, cow, and pig. :) We went to the pet store the other day to see the puppies and kittens. She definitely recognized them! I even think she recognized the bunnies from her flash cards. :) These cards also come in colors, shapes, numbers, etc. You can find them at Barnes and Noble (probably other places too---but that's where I got ours).


I'm also planning on getting Lucy a music kit with a drum, tambourine, clackers, shakers, maracas, etc. She was playing with some egg shakers the other day at a friend's house and loved them! They're only a couple of bucks and the music store. We're going out to get some soon!

Just a little bit of what Lucy is up to. Hopefully it's a help for some moms who will be needing good toy ideas. We are having a blast playing every day!

2 comments:

  1. Where did you get the flash cards? I think Mira would like something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got them at Barnes and Noble. They're in the education section. Lucy loves them!!

    ReplyDelete