.

Monday, February 27, 2012

Healthy Options

I love sweets. Total weakness. Lucy loves them too. She wakes up telling me that she needs chocolate.

An old pic...but it gets my point across. :)

I made the mistake during the holidays of having bowls full of candy around the house. I didn't necessarily munch all of the time---but guess who did? Even if they were hidden way up high. Sneaky.

This week I bought cute little boxes of raisins and filled the previously chocolate filled bowl with them. Now when Lucy sees the bowl she asks for raisins. Brilliant! Why didn't I think of this sooner?


I also made some yummy cookies today. I have posted the recipe on Facebook before. They are really great and satisfy a sweet craving. The best part? They're pretty good for you! I don't mind my munchkin munching on these. She loves them. What a great way to get whole grains and oatmeal in her! Give them a try. You won't be disappointed.

*I didn't use rice flour--just added extra whole wheat flour. And I add a little vanilla for more flavor. Would also be great with dark chocolate chips!

The Rocky Cookie (by Sylvester Stallone in his book Sly Moves)

1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3/8 cup brown rice flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/8 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup Quaker old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 egg
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons water
1/2 tablespoon molasses


Preheat over to 375 degrees. In a medium-size bowl, combine wheat and rice flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, brown sugar, and oats. Make in indentation in the center and add egg, olive oil, water, and molasses. Mix vigorously until the dough is moistened. Roll into tablespoon-size balls and place two inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes or until done. Remove cookies from oven and cool on wire rack. They should be soft and slightly chewy.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh these sound good! I may have to try these with all gluten free flours for David! Or maybe I just need to come visit you and snag a cookie! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're easy and great for husbands and kiddos. Sadly, ours are already gone. You might want to double the batch!

      Delete